Månadsarkiv: mars 2017

Amendment 6 godkänt

Den 28 mars fick vi vårt amendment 6 godkänt i etikprövningsnämnden, se skärmbild nedan. Har suddat telefonnummer till mig, då jag inte önskar att dessa uppgifter publikt.

Vad innebar amendment 6?

Det första var att vi talade om att två ytterligare center hade tillkommit. Dalens sjukhus och Lindesbergs lasarett. Därefter angav vi byte av PI vid två center.

Den större förändringen var uppdateringen av forskningsplanen till version 4.9. Denna version kommer att sändas ut till alla center i veckan, där vi ber er att byta ut det äldre protokollet och ersätta det med version 4.9.


Så här skrev vi i vårt brev till etikprövningsnämnden

Vårt primära utfallsmått är en ordinalskala som heter modified Rankin Scale (mRS). Skalan, som går från 0 (inga bortfall) till 6 (död), är det vanligaste utfallsmåttet vid stroke. Det vanligaste är att man gör mRS vid ett återbesök, men det går även att göra den via telefon eller enkät. Att göra undersökningar vi återbesök kan vara tidskrävande, framförallt om man har stora studier, och därför har våra kollegor i Edinburgh utvecklat en skala som heter simple modified Rankin Scale questionnaire (smRSq). Den består av fem frågor och kan utföras som enkät eller via telefon. smRSq är validerat på engelska men inte på svenska.

I vår forskningsplan har vi angivit att vi planerar att göra detta under 2013, se nedan. Men pga att vi har varit tvungen att fokusera oss på andra saker (iordningställande av randomiseringssystem, eCRF, inkludering av patienter i studien) har vi inte hunnit med att genomföra den planerade studien. Eftersom det gått flera år sedan vi ansökte, anser vi det vara viktigt att klargöra för etikprövningsnämnden var vi står i frågan.

Så här skrev vi i v 4.8 av forskningsplanen, sid 22. Ordalydelsen har varit oförändrad sedan den första ansökan, som godkändes 2013-09-30:

”Modified Rankin Scale (mRS) (based ordinal analysis to maximize power and to avoid problems including patients with an mRS > 2 prior to their stroke) at 6 months after randomization. Patient who die would be attributed a score of 6 for this analysis.

The mRS is an extremely simple, time efficient measure with well-studied reliability used to categorize level of functional outcome. It has been used extensively in large, multicentre stroke trials.
Any misclassification of patients into an inappropriate mRS category may reduce the power of the trial. To minimize misclassification and intermodality differences we will use the simple modified Rankin Scale questionnaire (smRSq) described by Bruno and colleagues. This has been delivered by both telephone and postal questionnaires and has been completed by patients and proxies (Bruno 2010, 2011) (Dennis 2012) (Lundström in early manuscript 2013).”

Det vi nu avser att göra är att undersöka om den enkät som vi sänder ut vid 6 och 12 månader ger likartade resultat jämför med en traditionell bedömning vid återbesök.

För patienten innebär det inget ytterligare belastning jämfört med hur vi gör nu. Redan idag svarar varje deltagare i studien på de 5 frågorna som ligger till grund för smRSq. Det som tillkommer är att ett antal läkare och sjuksköterskor ska göra en traditionell bedömning av mRS, vid 6-månaders-återbesöket.
All den information som krävs för att göra en vanlig mRS framkommer under det ordinarie återbesöket. Jag har personligen testat att göra detta vid några återbesök och det förlänger eller försvårar inte återbesöket för patienten.

Men eftersom den planerade jämförelsen mellan smRS och mRS ännu inte har blivit utförd, vill vi med detta amendment ansöka om genomföra sub-studien.
Sammantaget kommer det att beröra 65 individer.
Metodiken att göra en studie i en studie kallas på på engelska Study Within A Trial (SWAT) (Anon 2012). Vi avser att registrera denna studie i ett register som heter the Northern Ireland Hub for Trials Methodology.


Förändringarna i v 4.9 av forskningsplanen markerat med rött nedan

”Modified Rankin Scale (mRS) (van Swieten 1988) (based ordinal analysis to maximize power and to avoid problems including patients with an mRS > 2 prior to their stroke) at 6 months after randomization. Patient who die would be attributed a score of 6 for this analysis.

The mRS is an simple, time efficient measure with well-studied reliability used to categorize level of functional outcome. It has been used extensively in large, multicentre stroke trials.

Any misclassification of patients into an inappropriate mRS category may reduce the power of the trial. To minimize misclassification and intermodality differences we will use the simple modified Rankin Scale questionnaire (smRSq) described by Bruno and colleagues. This has been delivered by both telephone and postal questionnaires and has been completed by patients and proxies (Bruno 2010, 2011; Dennis 2012). The smRSq has been validated in English (Bruno 2010, 2011; Dennis 2012) but not in Swedish. We are planning to test the agreement of the Swedish small modified Rankin Scale questionnaire with face-to-face modified Rankin Scale. (Lundström manuscript synopsis 2017).

Synopsis of manuscript with preliminary title: Agreement of the Swedish small modified Rankin Scale questionnaire with face-to-face modified Rankin Scale

The smRSq is sends to patient by the Trial Manager Assistant (TMA) at 6- and 12 month post randomisation. If the patient do not answer, the TMA contact the patient by phone and remind them to send in the questionnaire. If they have difficult to answer for themselves TMA helps them fill in the form by phone.

Statistics
Number of patients
The primary aim of the study is to evaluate whether the mRs-score measured by the smRSq differs from a mRS-score measured by a clinician. It has been defined that one step or more disparity in the mRs-score is a significant difference. A study of similar character has never been performed before and due to the nature of the study, an initial study, the sample size is not formulated in the guise of power, risk level, or clinical difference. The number of patients participating in the study is therefore primarily chosen for clinical reasons, not statistical, and 60 patients will be included in the study. In order to compensate for included patients not valid for efficacy analysis it is planned to enrol up to 65 patients in the study in order to have 60 patients valid for efficacy analysis. The attrition rate is estimated to be about 6%.

Statistical methods and data management
Statistical comparisons in order to test differences between dependent observations will be made by use of pair-wise Student’s t-test for correlated means and statistical comparisons between two independent groups will be made by use of the Student’s t-test for uncorrelated means., after validation for normal distribution by use of the Shapiro Wilk test. The Pearson correlation coefficient will be used in order to test independence between variables. In addition to that descriptive statistics will be used to characterize the data. All analyses will be carried out by use of the SAS system (The SAS system for Windows 9.4., SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC, USA.) and the 5% levels of significance will be considered. In the case of a statistically significant result the probability value (p-value) will be given. The results will be presented in a cross table. The proportion of full agreement will be given in percent and 95% Confidence Interval, as well as weighted and not weighted Kappa value.


Referenser

Anon. Education section – Studies Within A Trial (SWAT). Journal of Evidence-Based Medicine 2012; 5(1): 44-5

Bruno A, Shah N, Lin C, Close B, Hess D, Davis K, Baute V, Switzer J, Waller J, Nichols F. Improving modified Rankin scale assessment with a simplified questionnaire. Stroke. 2010;41:1048-1050

Bruno A, Akinwuntan AE, Lin C, Close B, Davis K, Baute V, Aryal T, Brooks D, Hess D,Switzer J, Nichols F. Simplified Modified Rankin Scale Questionnaire: Reproducibility Over the Telephone and Validation With Quality of Life. Stroke. 2011;42:2276-2279

Dennis M, Mead G, Doubal F, Graham C. Determining the modified Rankin score after stroke by postal and telephone questionnaires. Stroke 2012; 3:851-3 van Swieten JC, Koudstaal PJ, Visser MC, Schouten HJ, van Gijn J. Interobserver agreement for the assessment of handicap in stroke patients. Stroke. 1988 May;19(5):604-7